February 20, 2007

Unsolved: Earth's Rotation Reversing

What would happen the day the Earth started rotating the opposite direction?

Wytfliet's map of the world, from 1598, published in The Scottish Geographical Magazine Vol. XVI, No. 1, 1900.

This is the question that made me want to start this thing in the first place, because really, I have no idea how to go about finding this out. Are there even scientists who study this sort of thing? I mean, I know there are people who study what would happen if the magnetic poles reversed (even though that one is more of a "when" than an "if"), and there are people who study what would happen if the ocean's currents switched directions, but people who study what would happen if the Earth started rotating in the opposite direction?

I'm more curious about what would happen on the very day it happened, although any long-term effects would be excellent, as well. Would the day be longer? Would righteous storms immediately form, causing fire to rain down on the cities and forests? How long would it take for the weather patterns to correct themselves? What would the animals do? Plants?

Bonus points: What would happen if the moon started rotating in the opposite direction? Anything at all? I haven't thought about this one that much.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled onto this page somehow, and decided to read it. Since no one posted anything, I will. I am just a 16 year old, but at least you know someone read it, and was interested. Well first of all I would like to state my answear is justwhat I think would happen. Well I think that the Earth's rotation keeps us on the ground, just like when you have a cup of water and you spin it really fast. The water stays in the cup. Therefore I believe if the earth were to just suddenly rotate the opposite way there would be a deadly earth quake, due to a disturbance in the Earths rotation. The more sudden the change in direction was. The earth quake would be more lethal. I am sure after the change in rotation, animals and plants would adapt easily. I believe that some humans and possibly animals would get sick or feel ill due to the change of eaths rotation. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. THERE ISN"T ALOT OF SCIENCE TO PROVE MY THEORY. BUT SCIENCE IS MADE BY HUMAN, SO I AM AS WRONG AS I AM RIGHT. :P


Sincerly : Tyler Andrew Oberding.

If you want to contact me or something you can contact me through msn. My e-mail is
Oberding-@hotmail.com.
ALSO IF YOU PLAY THE GUITAR DRUMS OR BASS I DO TOO. I ALSO LIKE TO MAKE MUSIC. SO MAYBE YOU MIGHT LIVE IN MY AREA AND WE COULD JJJJAAAMMM SO IF YOU WANT TO CHAT OR WHATEVER IT MAY BE> THE ANSWEAR IS Oberding-@hotmail.com

ALSO I AM A 16 YEAR OLD "MALE" SO FOR ANY OF YOU PEDO'S DON"T TRY AND SEDUCE ME INTO SEXUAL THINGS
THINKING I AM A FEMALE DUE TO IN THE BEGGINING OF THIS COMMENT I STATED I WAS 16 AND DIDN'T PUT MY SEX. THAT"S ITTT>

Nirvana!!!!!